Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Newbie Rider

My first ride on Kismet was memorable. Of all the mares the family owns, Kismet is the most considerate of her rider. She really makes every effort to keep the rider seated.

Unfortunately Kismet wasn't very cooperative that day. Of course, this was my very first solo ride. So we first thought I was simply being "buffalo'd". Later Melissa mentioned she was actually "squirting". All these new terms, all the coordinated balancing, were overloading my mind and body. But this one fact I know, mares in heat grow nuts!

One time, we arrived at the barn and could not open the tack room. So we rode around the arena bareback with only the halter for neck reining. I was beginning to slip off Kismet's back when she stopped and waited for me to catch myself. She even arched her neck around to make sure I was alright.

One other time, with barely an hour or two of total riding under my belt, we went out on the trail. We skipped over a small brook. I stayed on! We went through some low lying branches and I didn't come off. We pulled up a small muddy rise and Kismet kept me on her back. For not falling off, I am most grateful.

No comments: